Follow us on
Create Account

XLN Audio - Forum

questions about Roland TD-6K kit and AD

Discuss models, features and anything else related to E-drums

questions about Roland TD-6K kit and AD

Postby Croatian_Drummer » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:14 am

Hi, guys,

I am a brand new (and happy) owner of the AD + Retro pack. The plug-in is unbelievably good, and I am really satisfied with it.

I have two questions, which you might help me with:

1) The Hi-Hat controller/pedal unit in my Roland TD-6K e-drum kit works the way that, when played with sounds from the module, it produces audible different sounds depending on how hard it is pressed, i.e. depending on the pedal-position angle.
After I connected my e-drums with Nuendo and Addictive Drums, it seems that I only can get three sounds from AD through my Hi-Hat controller: open hi-hat sound, closed hi-hat sound and foot-closed-pedal sound. There are no nuances in between the open and closed hi-hat sounds, depending on how tight I press the pedal. As soon as it is not pressed tightly, the sound immediately goes to "open". I tried to "mess around" with "Foot close sensitivity" and "Foot splash sensitivity" in the AD Map Window, but that didn't seem to help: it rather created a strange blurry of notes during the playback of my recording.

Can anybody give me any advices on is it possible to resolve this, and how? Ideally, I would like to have all the Hi-hat open <=> closed ratio sounds which I usually have from my e-drum module, depending on how hard I press the HH controller pedal.

2) Choking the cymbals
Although Roland TD-6K has the "cymbal choke" function, and although the boxes with "cymbal choke" function in my AD Map Window are all marked correctly, the recorded MIDI doesn't "recognize" the cymbal choking on my e-drum rig. I know that I can "type in" the MIDI notes in Nuendo to resolve this, but I would obviously prefer to have that already recorded during my playing.

Any information and advices would be very welcome.

Thanks in advance and all the best from Croatia.

Sasa Petkovic
Croatian_Drummer

Re: questions about Roland TD-6K kit and AD

Postby Tore XLN Audio » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:24 am

1) I suggest that you try the learn function in the Map Window and assign the CC Hihat Tip stroketype to your hi-hat instead of the Open/Closed stroketypes.

This will only work if your drum module sends out a CC value for the "openness" of the hi-hat (0 is closed, 127 is fully open, and then you have all the values inbetween). Addictive Drums will then convert that value into one of the available Closed/Open stroketypes. If this works, you will be able to change the nodes in the CCHihat tab to set the crossover points for different Open Hihat stroketypes.

2) Some modules only have "internal chokes", which means that they don't send out any aftertouch messages or midi notes when you choke the cymbals. You can use the Midi Monitor in the Map Window in Addictive Drums to view any incoming midi messages.

It's also possible that there is a midi filter in your hosts that removes any incoming aftertouch messages.
Tore XLN Audio
Site Admin

Postby Croatian_Drummer » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:43 pm

Hi, Tore, and thx for the quick reply.

The problem 1) is solved. I engaged the Roland TD6 map from the Map Window and experimented a bit with the CC HiHat setup and it seems to work fine now.

About the question 2) (cymbal choking):
As the recording process doesn't record the choking note, there is a possibility that TD6 doesn't send the aftertouch message. But, just to make sure: could you pls tell me where to check for the MIDI filter in Nuendo (if you know, that is) that might remove incoming aftertouch messages?

Thx again!
Croatian_Drummer

Postby Tore XLN Audio » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:30 pm

Croatian_Drummer wrote:Hi, Tore, and thx for the quick reply.

The problem 1) is solved. I engaged the Roland TD6 map from the Map Window and experimented a bit with the CC HiHat setup and it seems to work fine now.

About the question 2) (cymbal choking):
As the recording process doesn't record the choking note, there is a possibility that TD6 doesn't send the aftertouch message. But, just to make sure: could you pls tell me where to check for the MIDI filter in Nuendo (if you know, that is) that might remove incoming aftertouch messages?

Thx again!

I'm glad to hear that the hihat problem is solved. The aftertouch message is not sent as a midi note - it is CC midi data (just like the CC values from the hi-hat). I haven't used Nuendo myself, but from what I understand it is very similar to Cubase. In Cubase, the midi cc data is shown as curves under the midi notes, like this:

As I said, I haven't used Nuendo myself so it's hard for me to give you very specific help, but I would look among the general MIDI preferences for a midi filter of some sort.
Tore XLN Audio
Site Admin

Postby Croatian_Drummer » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:01 am

I solved both problems, Tore. Thanks for your help!
Best regards from Croatia,
Sasa
Croatian_Drummer

Postby Tore XLN Audio » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:20 am

Croatian_Drummer wrote:I solved both problems, Tore. Thanks for your help!
Best regards from Croatia,
Sasa

Hi Sasa,

I'm glad to hear that it's working now! If you're up for it, I'm sure that other users would appreciate if you shared the solution for the choke problem. If not, then that's cool too :)

Stay addicted!
Tore XLN Audio
Site Admin

Postby Croatian_Drummer » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:06 pm

Hi, just a few words about the cymbal-choke issue on Roland TD-6 and how I managed to solve it. You basically need to do two things:
1) Map your drums correctly within the AD map setup window (I chose the Roland TD-6 drum map, of course)
2) Make sure that your drums are mapped correctly in your DAW (I work in Nuendo 4). After I installed Nuendo 4 (previously I was using Nuendo 3), I had to reinstall AD in order for Nuendo 4 to "read" it correctly. At that point, I had to deal with drum mapping again, as Nuendo 4 couldn't find my previously stored drum map from Nuendo 3. Anyhow, it proved to be quite easy: just make sure that all the "notes" in your DAW drum map co-relate to the notes in AD drum map, and - that's it. The cymbal choking worked just fine by default, after I set things up the way I described above.

Cheers from Croatia!
Croatian_Drummer

Postby Tore XLN Audio » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:43 am

Thank you for providing additional information about this case. Cheers!
Tore XLN Audio
Site Admin

Return to E-Drums