XLN Audio
Follow us on
Create Account

XLN Audio - Forum

I just dont get it.

Do you need technical help to get started with the free version, then ask questions here!

I just dont get it.

Postby ansley » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:17 pm

Normally I use something like beatcraft,make a drumline for a song,import it into a daw,and simply record...it just doesnt sound AS good. So I figured I would try this demo. My usual software doesnt export to midi,so they became useless and I had to find something that would,I ran across hydrogen. If I write a track with multiple voices (kick,snare,hi hat,etc) addictive just plays the bass drum,and in a timing not even matching what I wrote,if I write tracks for each voice seperately,addictive just plays them as rim shots from the snare,and I can not change the voices in addictive to the appropriate voices. I do not have drum triggers,and just wanted a better sound.Can someone please tell me how to make this thing work ? I am very frustrated for I have been trying to figure this out for the past 24 hours. Please pretend I am stupid and break it down really simple....this is what I want to do: write my drum tracks on the computer ( not using triggers or keyboards,just write them in a stand alone application)import them to ableton,use addictive,or ez to make it sound better
ansley

Postby Tore XLN Audio » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:48 pm

I have never tried Hydrogen (and it's not officially supported by us) so I won't be able to help you with that, but here's a video on how to create your own beats in Cubase. Perhaps it could clear things up?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtjsiBe2swc
Tore XLN Audio
Site Admin

Postby ansley » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:07 pm

I watched the video. Ableton differes from cubase,I was able to get a midi event created,and even make a midi drum patern ( using a built in plug in called impulse ) but I cant get addictive to play the notes written. I even tried putting the midi on one track,and routing it to another and recording with AD enabled on the second track and nothing. It only seems to work using a 3rd party stand alone program that can export a midi pattern,then exporting that pattern not into your daw,but directly into addictive's pattern library. Eventhough its a lot extra work,I tried a short recording that way and ran into yet another problem, the double bass pattern creates a "stepping" type sound that disrupts the guitar tracks as if they had an effect on them. If I mute the drums, guitars sound perfectly normal. I am having a lot of trouble with this.
ansley

Postby ansley » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:52 am

Ok, I have reached a new level of frustration undescribable by any language. Nobody has answers or knows how to make this thing work with what I have,so I have come to the following conclusion...it is one of the following:

1. It simply doesn't work
2. I need to spend thousands of dollars to get all the coresponding software to make it work.
3. you need a degree specificly in addictive drums.
4. maybe I am just stupid.

All I wanted to do was write a drum track, play along,make a song...apparently,the ONLY way to do this is to hire a pro drummer, pay him to learn the song and pay for studio time and have him lay the tracks.
I give up.
ansley

Postby Tore XLN Audio » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:00 pm

I'm sorry to hear about the troubles. Have you tried dragging a groove from the BEATS page and dropping it into the arrangement in Ableton Live? If you do that and then double click on the midi part, you should have a good starting point for making your own beat.
Tore XLN Audio
Site Admin

Return to Support - Addictive Drums (free version)