XLN Audio
Follow us on
Create Account

XLN Audio - Forum

Using AD on separate channels in Pro Tools 9??

Do you need technical help to get started with the free version, then ask questions here!

Using AD on separate channels in Pro Tools 9??

Postby emanon » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:17 am

I have created AD on a instrument channel. I have then channeled each channel from the AD mixer into Pro Tools as separate AUX channels.

All the channels are receiving a signal. However, when you play them together and mute the original instrument channel they sound completley different? They sound like they have no effects added, which i added on the main instrument track with AD?

Any clues why i can't get everything sounding just like on the original instrument channel. It's driving me nuts!
emanon

Re: Using AD on separate channels in Pro Tools 9??

Postby Tore XLN Audio » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:46 am

emanon wrote:I have created AD on a instrument channel. I have then channeled each channel from the AD mixer into Pro Tools as separate AUX channels.

All the channels are receiving a signal. However, when you play them together and mute the original instrument channel they sound completley different? They sound like they have no effects added, which i added on the main instrument track with AD?

Any clues why i can't get everything sounding just like on the original instrument channel. It's driving me nuts!

When you route channels to separate tracks in your host, they will bypass the Master channel and all the effects on it.

Also, the reverb goes through the 1-2 outputs, i.e. the outputs from the instrument track, so you shouldn't mute the instrument track.
Tore XLN Audio
Site Admin

Postby emanon » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:42 am

I'm not quite sure i understand how to avoid this problem.

If i want to channel the mixer channels from the instrument track through to pro tools what is the best practice for this in order to preserve all the effects etc from the instrument track?

thanks
emanon

Postby Tore XLN Audio » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:58 am

emanon wrote:I'm not quite sure i understand how to avoid this problem.

If i want to channel the mixer channels from the instrument track through to pro tools what is the best practice for this in order to preserve all the effects etc from the instrument track?

thanks

When you route a channel in Addictive Drums to a separate track in Pro Tools, it will no longer go through the Master channel in Addictive Drums, so it's not possible to achieve the exact same sound (unless there are no effects on the Master channel at all). Would you mind telling me why you are using separate outs, instead of just keeping Addictive Drums on the Stereo Instrument Track?
Tore XLN Audio
Site Admin

Postby emanon » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:36 am

The reason for channeling everything out of AD into Pro Tools is so that i can use more effects on each of the AD tracks. I'm bound to the reverb and the other effects within AD. I want to play more with the sound and have more flexibility with it?

I'm fairly new to drum programming and best practice to work but it seems this would be super flexible, unless i am missing something? Also are there any tutorials on programming beats with AD, the ones i've seen so far are all about functionality etc
emanon

Postby Tore XLN Audio » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:42 pm

emanon wrote:The reason for channeling everything out of AD into Pro Tools is so that i can use more effects on each of the AD tracks. I'm bound to the reverb and the other effects within AD. I want to play more with the sound and have more flexibility with it?

I see. I guess you could try to emulate the effects on the Master channel in Addictive Drums by grouping all the Pro Tools tracks together in a bus/aux and then apply similar effects there (limiter, compressor, distortion etc.).

emanon wrote:I'm fairly new to drum programming and best practice to work but it seems this would be super flexible, unless i am missing something? Also are there any tutorials on programming beats with AD, the ones i've seen so far are all about functionality etc

Sure! Here's a video tutorial on how to create beats with Addictive Drums:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtjsiBe2swc
Tore XLN Audio
Site Admin

Return to Support - Addictive Drums (free version)