XLN Audio
Follow us on
Create Account

XLN Audio - Forum

Suitable for routing or not ?

Do you need technical help to get started with the free version, then ask questions here!

Suitable for routing or not ?

Postby essdor » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:15 pm

I'm having a frustrating time with this demo and Cubase.
I have all the drums on separate channels, but can't figure out how to control the balance of the whole kit, (mainly the cymbals).
I'm aware that the cymbals can't be routed or added to the "Extra" channel (I'm totally baffled why this feature isn't available) so can anyone recommend a setup for Cubase that gives the user as much control as possible over the kit ?
Please read this as as I want the flexibility of AD and all the kits. but I want to add my own FX to the instruments, and how do I do this incorporating the cymbals ?
When I raise the master to bring in the cymbals I loose control of the rest of the kit, as I can no longer control Cubase mixer volumes.
I've read the "Addictive Drums Outputs" pdf and find this information very limited, surely this software needs more information on setting up in other hosts.?
Is there a workaround for Cubase?

thanks
essdor

Re: Suitable for routing or not ?

Postby Tore XLN Audio » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:58 pm

The kits in Addictive Drums were recorded in a way that you might call a "standard" way of recording drums. This means that there are close microphones on the bass drum, snare drum, the toms and the percussion in the Xtra slot, but the cymbals were not recorded with close microphones. That is why they don't have their own channels in Addictive Drums. Getting the cymbals to "sit in the mix" is traditionally done by applying effects to the Overhead and Room channels. In the top left corner of the EDIT page you have control over the gain and pan in the Overhead and Room channels for each kitpiece.

When I raise the master to bring in the cymbals I loose control of the rest of the kit, as I can no longer control Cubase mixer volumes.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. If you elaborate I might be able to point you in the right direction.
Tore XLN Audio
Site Admin

Return to Support - Addictive Drums (free version)