XLN Audio
Follow us on
Create Account

XLN Audio - Forum

The Demo Isn't Working...

Do you need technical help to get started with the free version, then ask questions here!

The Demo Isn't Working...

Postby Beepster » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:16 am

Hi there. I'm setting up a home studio and am very interested in your product. I need an easy to use virtual drum set up to compliment my padKontrol and Addictive Drums gets great reviews. I've looked around at some of your kit packs and it really does look like this could be a useful product for someone like me. However I can't seem to get the actual demo from your downloads to test it out. I've followed all the instructions to the letter (extracted files before install, closed other apps, etc...) and all I get are PDFs and the uninstaller. I tried the US mirror multiple times (as I am in Canada... perhaps that is the problem) and after seeing another thread here I tried the EU version. No dice. I really don't want to sound like a jerk here but I just wasted my evening trying to get this thing going. As I said I am truly interested in this software and want it in my list of products to test before my final build. This has turned me off a little though. I had to register to this forum to even download it and it failed. It makes me worry about paying for the final full version of the product. Perhaps there is a problem with the mirrors or something or I'm just having a computer brainfart. Anything is possible and I am willing to give this another whack for the sake of checking out AD but any help here would certainly be appreciated and potentially steer me to choosing this software in the long run.

Thanks
Beepster

Re: The Demo Isn't Working...

Postby Beepster » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:27 am

Oh geez... never mind. I just saw a thread saying this is a VST thingy. I thought it was a standalone sequencer. That's why I wasn't getting any results. Okay... I'd like to change my question. Will this work within FLstudio? I see Sonar listed as well. Does that include Sonar X1 Producer?

Thanks and sorry for my jerky brainfart OP.
Beepster

Postby Tore XLN Audio » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:46 pm

Beepster wrote:Oh geez... never mind. I just saw a thread saying this is a VST thingy. I thought it was a standalone sequencer. That's why I wasn't getting any results. Okay... I'd like to change my question. Will this work within FLstudio? I see Sonar listed as well. Does that include Sonar X1 Producer?

Thanks and sorry for my jerky brainfart OP.

FL Studio is not officially supported (meaning we haven't tested it ourselves and cannot guarantee that it will work), but there are users out there that have Addictive Drums up and running in FL Studio.

Sonar is officially supported and Addictive Drums does work with version X1.
Tore XLN Audio
Site Admin

Postby Beepster » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:16 pm

Thanks. I'm going to try it out on both tonight. Again, apologies for my earlier ignorance.
Beepster

Postby Tore XLN Audio » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:57 pm

Beepster wrote:Thanks. I'm going to try it out on both tonight. Again, apologies for my earlier ignorance.

No worries! Check back in this thread if you have any further questions.
Tore XLN Audio
Site Admin

Postby Beepster » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:31 pm

Thanks. It's nice to see a forum that stays on top of user questions like you have. I do actually have a few more questions. No big deal though. If you get a chance to reply cool, if not I'm sure I can muddle through it on my own.

I did manage to get it to load in FLStudio after a bit of futzing around. It was a little tricky but that's more because of how FL handles VST's. Here's the method I used in case any other users are interested.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 331AADqOIi

1 - Find where Addictive Drums is saved on your computer. Locate all the files with an extension ending in .dll

2 - Go to your C drive, then - Program Files, Image Line, FL Studio, Plugins, VST. Copy all the Addictive Drums .dll files into that folder. Also copy them to both of the Program Files, Image Line, FL Studio, Plugins, Fruity folders. Effects and Generators.

3 - Open FL Studio. Go to Channels, Add One then More. It will bring up a list saying Select Generator Plugin. Tick the boxes for Addictive Drums (or any others) and press the Refresh button at the bottom.

It should work now. Close FL and open it again. Right click on the "Kick" button on the sequencer, go to Replace and it will bring up all the available VST's. It should be there. If it's still not working, let me know.

So I followed those directions to the letter and sure enough the Addictive Drums interface came up. Now the demo kit was supposed to have Kick, Snare, Hats and Crash but in the mixer I could not see the Crash listed. Is there some kind of "expand" option that's hiding certain elements?

Another issue I had was trying to get my padKontrol to sync up with AD. I couldn't find any mapping options or even the CC#s. Again I feel I'm just missing a menu somewhere. If there are any tutorials you could point me to about mapping AD with pad style MIDI controllers such as the pK I would appreciate it.

I also was a little disappointed with the sounds I did get just using the GUI to trigger notes. I know there are many options to control the sound of the hits (actually a LOT which is awesome) and these are likely not your top end drum samples as it's a demo but I'm looking for something a little meatier and more realistic sounding. I'm an old acoustic drummer so I'm kind of going for more of a "live" sound. I'm wondering what type of kits come with the basic software. Kit styles I'm interested in would be more classic rock, metal, old school punk. Think Live at Leeds Keith Moon, early Neil Peart mixed in with some Slayer and Iron Maiden. Even if the included kits can come close to emulating that type of "live" boomy/punchy type sound I can work with that. If they are mostly electronic type kits and modern sounding production kits that wouldn't really suit my needs. If that is the case which ad paks should I be looking at? The retro one?

And finally it seems that after I installed and enabled AD within FLstudio it messed up my audio settings. I'm testing these different softwares on my laptop for now (I still have to build my studio tower) so I'm forced to use the onboard sound. I was having some serious latency issues which I solved by installing ASIO4ALL. After I got AD running ASIO4ALL stopped working completely and I had to disable AD within FLStudio and reboot my computer to get it working again. Any thoughts on that?

Anyway... no big deal getting back to me on this stuff. Just if you have the time or interest in replying. Cheers!
Beepster

Postby Beepster » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:03 am

Okay... found the audio clips and video for the basic AD software. If they are representative of the actual sounds included I should be able to work with it.
Beepster

Postby Beepster » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:52 am

Aaaand I just found the MIDI map window thing looking at some of the screenshots.

Top Right corner click "Beats"

Lower Right corner above the mixer click "Map Window"

Still not sure how to sync it with the kP though.

I do have actually a pretty important question now after poking around the site a bit more. Is the current version of AD for sale actually the 64 bit version or is that still in BETA? How about the ADpaks? The system I'm building is gonna be 64bit as is Sonar X1 (as far as I know). I'm pretty much sold at this point but I'd hate to drop money on something that won't work. Is the price gonna go up?

Sorry for all the questions. As you can tell I'm a little new to all this... ya know... 'cause I'm old and used to just smashing on things to make noise.

;-)
Beepster

Postby Beepster » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:30 am

AAAHAHAHAHA!!!! Now that I've discovered the Beats and Map Window I'm definitely gonna buy this as my drum synth. Addictive indeed. Still need to know about the 64-bit issue and syncing it up with the pK though.

Very nice program.
Beepster

Postby Tore XLN Audio » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:51 pm

Beepster wrote:AAAHAHAHAHA!!!! Now that I've discovered the Beats and Map Window I'm definitely gonna buy this as my drum synth. Addictive indeed. Still need to know about the 64-bit issue and syncing it up with the pK though.

Very nice program.

Getting Addictive Drums up and running with your PadKontrol should be easy. Check out this tutorial on how to make your own custom Map Preset:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zV_gPYJrp0

The current official version of Addictive Drums is 32-bit, but users have reported that the 64-bit beta (PC only) is working very well, so we will probably not change anything for the official release. The ADpaks and other expansion packs work fine with the 64-bit beta.
Tore XLN Audio
Site Admin

Postby Beepster » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:40 am

Thank you muchly. Quite helpful. Haven't had a chance to check it out with the pK yet but that seems to be an amazingly simple mapping process. I like this program more and more each day. I'll be back with my results.

Cheers!
Beepster

Postby PickyPeach2 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:43 pm

DOes Addictive drums work with adobe audition? Anyone know
PickyPeach2

Postby jwd » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:40 pm

OH crap. so AD is NOT a stand-alone program?? SO I have to buy this 'VST' software too? Lame. I'll go with Superior or EZ then I guess....
jwd

Postby Tore XLN Audio » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:22 am

jwd wrote:OH crap. so AD is NOT a stand-alone program?? SO I have to buy this 'VST' software too? Lame. I'll go with Superior or EZ then I guess....

You mentioned in another thread that you're on a Mac, so you probably already have GarageBand on your computer. Here's a document that guides you through loading Addictive Drums in all supported host softwares, including GarageBand:
http://xlnaudio.usa.s3.amazonaws.com/ad ... oad-ad.pdf

You can also use a free host:

VSTHost (PC)
http://www.hermannseib.com/english/vsthost.htm

VSTLord (Mac)
http://arne.knup.de/?page_id=32
Tore XLN Audio
Site Admin

Postby Hasufein » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:33 am

Having read through this thread, I still find myself a little lost.

I can't find any .dll file in the installation folder to host woth my DAW?
I tried using audition first but that doesn't seem to be supported by AD - from the various threads i've read
I've downloaded the free VST pc host that is linked above - but I still can't find the .dll file to host...
I've just downloaded the free version to try out -
Hasufein

Next

Return to Support - Addictive Drums (free version)