XLN Audio
Follow us on
Create Account

XLN Audio - Forum

Download my free 9 track EP (Prog Metal, Instrumental)

Post links to your songs with AD & AK here!

Download my free 9 track EP (Prog Metal, Instrumental)

Postby Jaco815 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:30 pm

Hey everybody. If you're into progressive metal, I offer up my band's debut EP for your earholes. Our band is called On Impact and the total running length of the 9 track EP is just under 37 minutes (6 full songs and 3 interludes). Our stuff is a little weird at times but it's all in good fun. The album is available for free download to pass on the good vibes. Pay it forward by telling your friends about us and putting out free music yourself. Hope you enjoy.

http://onimpact.bandcamp.com/
http://soundcloud.com/on-impact

We made extensive use of Reel Machines throughout the album and used AD for drum mockups. What do you think of my jamz?
Jaco815

Re: Download my free 9 track EP (Prog Metal, Instrumental)

Postby The J » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:50 pm

Best AD using I ever heard.
And you guys are the most interesting band playing this style, although I very-very into progressive music.

How old are you guys?
And, personally, Jaco, did you write only drums?
And who mixed all your tracks?

Cheers, Yevgeny.
The J

Postby EvilDragon » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:05 am

This sounds fucking awesome! Good times!
EvilDragon

Postby Jaco815 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:02 am

How old are you guys?

I (Jacob) am 25 and Austin is 21

And, personally, Jaco, did you write only drums?

No. I also wrote maybe 50% of the bass guitar parts, 50% of the synth parts and wrote nearly all of the song Frenchy which is an older composition of mine from maybe 3 years ago (Austin added the guitar melodies to that one). I also reviewed/edited every single note that Austin wrote on the album (as well as helping arrange guitar parts and define/adjust all rhythm guitar and lead parts. If necessary, I offered suggestions to improve his parts.

And who mixed all your tracks?

I was the lead on all mixing and mastering on the album, but I double-checked everything with Austin as I went. He has a phenomenal ear for tone and balance so he offered a lot of suggestions as to when something needed to be brighter or where to put delay or reverb. He would let me know when something was too forward in the mix so we would add some reverb or compression to compensate. Overall, it was a hugely collaborative process. We listened through the album twice through at the end of the process and made final tweaks, with a break between each pass through. I mastered the album mostly on my own but Austin helped dial in the Mastering EQ and helped with setting the Mastering Compressor.

This sounds fucking awesome! Good times!

Thanks man! We hope this album brings some positivity into folks lives. So much metal is dark and droning or depressing, so we tried to counter that with around 40% of our album being in Major tonal centers just to throw a curveball in the mix.
Jaco815

Postby EvilDragon » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:50 am

God damn you managed to get AD to sound REAL good here! Sounds very tasty, non-mechanical.

The only possible complaint I could have on the whole production is that IMHO the guitars are too damn muffled, like they are covered over with a blanket... Needs more punch and high end!
EvilDragon

Postby EvilDragon » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:51 am

On the other hand - the bass guitar sound FUCKING ROCKS! :rock: :rock:
EvilDragon

Postby Jaco815 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:05 pm

God damn you managed to get AD to sound REAL good here! Sounds very tasty, non-mechanical.

The only possible complaint I could have on the whole production is that IMHO the guitars are too damn muffled, like they are covered over with a blanket... Needs more punch and high end!

Maybe my original post was misunderstood but only REEL Machines was used here (any of the electronic drums throughout the album) except for the electronic drums on Sapling which also used the Trig Sounds from the Metal ADPak. I originally mocked up the drums on a few of the songs with AD, but ended up using SD2 and Steven Slate for the final mix.

Yeah I should have brought out the guitars a touch more.

On the other hand - the bass guitar sound FUCKING ROCKS!

It was hard trying to balance the bass and guitar. We are big fans of Mudvayne who get their awesome bass sound by sacrificing some of the punch of the guitars. The bass sounds best to me on the bridge section of Psybeam or Meltdown where you can really here it on those melodic lines
Jaco815

Postby Santuzzo » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:40 pm

AWESOME !!!

Thanks so much for the album! I love this stuff, you guys are amazing!
Win 7 home 64bit
Cubase 7
i7 920 @2,67GHz, 6GB RAM

http://www.larsbauer.com
Santuzzo

Return to User Music