XLN Audio
Follow us on
Create Account

XLN Audio - Forum

Inner Child - Mastered

Post links to your songs with AD & AK here!

Inner Child - Mastered

Postby halinghu » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:06 pm

Hi All,

I thought you might like to hear the AD drums on this track, it's the best I've got them sounding so far. There is a lot of work in the production to create this particular drum sound.

It's a good rock song, with some nice build ups.

Here is the link to the track: Inner Child

Let me know what you think, enjoy!
Last edited by halinghu on Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
halinghu

Postby ddummer » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:49 pm

Nice song! But there is way too much compression going on in this track where less would be more me thinks. :)
ddummer

Postby halinghu » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:57 pm

Thanks for your reply, actually I modified the whole mix yesterday and have now listen to the previous mix - you are right about the compression. I added another 2-3db on the stereo fader which gave way too much compression. I'll post the 2nd last mix - it has a much better feel to it. until then ciao!
halinghu

track updated!

Postby halinghu » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:25 pm

Hi All,

I have just updated the track with vocals now as well. Looking forward to your feedback. AD drums done with TD-10, all instruments recorded in my home studio, mixed/produced at home. Seems like some vox a little low in the chorus but apart from that it's sounding polished and has much less compression than the first one.

Click the original link in the first post to access.
halinghu

Postby sunmachine » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:08 pm

Great Song!! Just added it to my favorites :) I like the vocals!

Which presets / kitpieces did you use for the drums?
sunmachine

Postby mesa3077boogie » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:43 am

Overall I like the song and think you did a great job mixing. the stereo aspect sounds great. There are some ghost notes in the bridge that right at the end of each phrase during the "rolls" of the snare ghost notes they really seem to pop out. And not in a good way. They actually increase in volume. Try adjusting their velocity in this part, I would hate to have you automate something for the volume but they just dont work right there imo. Are the guitars live or sythetic?

thanks, jordan
mesa3077boogie

Postby halinghu » Fri May 06, 2011 2:55 am

Thanks for the comments, the track IMO and after some time away from the mix, is over compressed and needs more breathing room, the vox is a little low and the double instruments create a sea of sounds that doesn't tight enough for my liking. Well, I live and learn... :-)

Regarding the drum sound - first I made a custom AD preset and then I added a second drum module called BFD. I then us some more AD plugins on different channels that are used to increase the punch in different parts i.e. just the snare and toms in one and just the cymbols in another, then this allows easy control on the volumes (automating the "punch" tracks) while the core drum sound can stay the same.

I found a very interesting way to make the drums sound bigger and realistic by using the second application called BFD. I used the dry signals from AD and then overlayed the ambient signals from BFD. I had to tune the kit pieces precisely to get both kits in symbiosis with each other. once I had the right sound I also used the dry signals from BFD at a lower volume to boost the punch/crunch factor again. The AD dry sounds are phenomenal and the ambient sounds from BFD are as well, but I was finding that the room controls in AD didn't allow me to close my eyes and really picture that realistic room; the depth and shape of the room. My mentor back at A.E. school always used to say if you can close your eyes when listening to the drum mix, you should be able to hear and feel the room around the kit, and identify how big it is quite accurtely. so that was the factor that drove me to try and be able to hear a realistic room when building the drum sound.

The track that I have put up is quite outdated now and I have created a new drum sound that i like much more. I shall post it up on the site and give you the link when it's finished.

If you want some screenshots of how I put the kit together I can post them up.

RE: mesa3077boogie - The guitars are as real as they come. I'm using a Paul Reed Smith Custom 22, running through a fender supersonic head (bassman and a classic deluxe in one) linked to a 2x12 Orange cab, it was mic'd with a rode classic II and a sure sm57. that's my standard set up for recording guitars. Usually I double the main parts as closely as possible without getting any natural phasing, protools has an option to slow the mix by a fraction so you can re-record the double and it eliminates this issue.
halinghu

Return to User Music