Installing products on an external drive
External disks - why?
It is not uncommon to want to install sample libraries on an external disk. Benefits include being able to reinstall the OS without having to reinstall huge libraries, and also making sure the system's disk access doesn't interfere with sample loading (especially important for sample players that stream the audio from disk in real time.) Addictive Drums and Addictive Keys are comparably small (AD core library about 1.5 GB, adpaks roughtly 6-700 MB each, AK instruments around 1-1.5 GB each). Additionally, the samples are not streamed from disk - so you may very well keep your xln products on the system drive, which is the default. If you still want to use an external drive - read on!
How to install Addictive Drums, Addictive Keys or XO on an external drive
- Start the XLN Online Installer.
- Click the Installation Paths button.
- There are tabs for AD, AK and XO (as well as a VST paths tab if you are running Windows). Select your desired path/location, then click Apply.
(If you have a big installation, it may take a while to move everything)
- When it is finished, click Close.
- Take the opportunity to install any updates available to your products